Saturday, September 17, 2011

Congratulations to the Detroit Tigers and their fans including me.

W00t! Congratulations to the team and the fans. The Detroit Tigers have clinched the American League Central Division title and are headed to the 2011 MLB post season and run for a World Series Title.

And the way this team is flying right now, who could possibly be favored over them.  We have the pitching, hitting, defense up the middle, and coaching to win it all.

 It's been since 1984 when the Tigers won a championship.  I remember it like it was yesterday because it seems like yesterday.   Also, Shelly and I were there in 1987 for all three games the final weekend against the Blue Jays and for the one home playoff game that year.  Heck, I can even take credit for starting the emotional tribute standing ovation for Darrell Rogers when he first came to bat in that game even though he had been made a goat in game 2. 

One of my prized possessions in the world is a baseball that was signed by the players and coaches of the 1972 Tigers that I got for my 8th birthday from my Aunt Stella and Uncle Stanley who both worked at Tiger Stadium back then.  I spent many hours as a kid downriver in Lincoln Park listening to Ernie Harwell call the game on WJR radio while I kept score in a homemade program so I could keep track of the stats myself.

I know from watching this sport for decades now that its not easy to come out on top in a 162 game season.  So if you are a fan of the Tigers, now is the time to enjoy and celebrate just a bit.  But don't get too excited.  Lots of work to do to win a championship.        

No comments:

Post a Comment